How to Live, Eat and Breathe Success
We all know that highly successful people have something about them that got them where they are and keeps them there. What is the secret that enables them to live the life that mere mortals only dream about?
How do they become who they are? We’re talking here about the likes of Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad Poor Dad), Jeff Bezos (CEO Amazon.com), Warren Buffett (CEO Berkshire Hathaway) and many more seemingly ordinary modern day people who, at some stage in their life, decided that they wanted more.
Whether in finance, acting, sport or religion – there is something that leader’s do that creates a life that sets them apart from the ordinary – something that triggers a domino effect whereby every piece of their life will fall perfectly into place.
What is it?
Creating good habits in all areas of their lives.
Sounds simple doesn’t it? But it requires discipline and determination.
Habits are extremely powerful and can be just as detrimental as beneficial. Creating good habits gives you an immense amount of control over your life. It’s not just about what you do, but also how often, that will determine your destiny.
11 habits that our modern day leaders have implemented into their lives to make them who they are?
- Mindset – Conquer this and you’re well and truly on your way! Successful people power on with success as their only option. They solve problems, not create them. They stay positive and focused even in the face of adversity.
- Powerful Goal Setting – Without goals, there is no direction and nothing to work towards. Our leaders know that setting goals is not enough. Every goal needs to be written (as if you have already accomplished it), specific, measurable, realistic (but not weak!) and timed.
- Money Management – Successful people have shifted from the “consumer mentality” to an “investor mentality”. They respect and value money so it doesn’t get frittered away on junk. They acquire assets not liabilities. They don’t live above their means and understand the difference between good debt and bad debt.
- Planning and Time Management – To get to the top, focus is paramount. Avoid distractions with careful planning and a well-executed “To-Do-List”. Steven Covey (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People) and Napoleon Hill (Think and Grow Rich) both agree that by finding that one most important task / focus each day, and annihilating it in the morning will get you ahead in leaps and bounds.
- Continuous Education – This is an essential part of life if we are to grow and evolve. Highly successful people have discovered that life doesn’t stand still – and to stay at the top they need to continuously learn new things. They themselves have mentors that they learn from. They read daily. They understand that education is an investment that will serve them well in the future.
- Exercise and Diet – Every successful person knows that their body is the single most important investment in their lives. The way the body is treated will determine its output. Figuratively speaking – if you put rubbish in, you’ll get rubbish out. Successful people make the time for exercise and healthy eating. They nourish their bodies with good wholesome food, whilst still enjoying indulgences in moderation, and undertake some form of exercise daily.
- Get Up Early – Those at the top of the success ladder know that although sleeping till lunchtime might seem appealing, it won’t get you where you where you want to be. Rising early and starting the day ahead of the mainstream will keep you ahead of the mainstream. They have learnt that early morning is a fantastic quiet time to prepare for a busy day – they will use this time to exercise, read, meditate and plan their day.
- Use Talents and Gifts – Everyone has some talent or skill that they enjoy doing and that they can do better than most other people. Successful people have learnt to leverage that to their advantage and spend the bulk of their time doing these activities. They value their time and don’t waste it doing tasks they are no good at or don’t enjoy – they hire other people to do the things they can’t or don’t want to do.
- Networking – “It’s not about what you know, it’s about who you know”. Leaders understand that to get to the top, networking and social skills need to be mastered. But not just any networking – they surround themselves with “high achievers” – people like themselves, people who have the same values and standards that they have.
- Character and Integrity – For successful people to stay at the top of their game, they need to have strength of character and integrity. They need to possess the characteristics that define “success” – honesty, good values, strength, integrity, empathy, morals, diplomacy, leadership, authenticity.
- Leave the Comfort Zone – outside of the comfort zone is where amazing things are achieved. Successful people learnt this and created this habit very early in their lives. They know that to move ahead they have to take calculated risks. What sets them apart from main stream society is how often they leave their comfort zones and how long they spend out there. And when things do get tough out there, they power through and resist the urge to slink back to where they feel most comfortable.
Whether you aspire to be like any of our modern day leaders or to just reach the top of your own game, you’ve got to create the habits that will get you there. Habits can easily become a natural part of your day but will require discipline and determination to make them stick. Persisting with the enviable habits listed above, will put you way ahead of the rest of the pack, ensuring your success. You only get one shot at life – make sure it’s the best it can be!